- Supplemental Instruction
- Academic Success Coaching
- About Us
Tutoring Frequently Asked Questions
Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions below. If you can further questions, you can use the "Contact LASSO" link to the left or call Susan Malec at 405-744-5020.
[+] Expand All
LASSO Tutoring is open to all OSU and NOC-Stillwater students at no additional cost.
A $10 fee is assessed for late cancellations and no-shows. An appointment is considered a no-show if the student fails to check-in within 15 minutes of their scheduled appointment time or is canceled online after 9:00 pm the night before the appointment.
See cancellations below.
Sign up online on the STAR website or stop by 021 Classroom Building to walk through the sign-up process with one of our staff.
First time users can follow these instructions:
- Go to tutor.okstate.edu and sign in.
- Select the current semester in the pull-down menu in the top right (if not already selected). Click the blue "Get Tutoring or Peer Advising" button on the right side of your Student Home page.
- On the "Schedule Tutor Appointment" page, select "Book LASSO Tutoring Appointment" in the first pull-down menu.
- Select the OSU course for which you would like to schedule a tutoring appointment (or select NOC Math or NOC Science if you need tutoring for an NOC course) and then click the blue "Next" button.
- Select "LASSO Center, 021 CLB" as the location and then click the blue "Next" button.
- Leave the "Which Tutor?" field blank unless you know the name of the tutor you want to select.
- Click on one of the blue boxes beneath a date to view available appointment times. You may need to click the blue arrow buttons above the entries to scroll to future weeks in order to find an available appointment time. Once you have found a time that works for you, click on it to highlight it in blue. Then click the blue "Next" button.
- Enter any comments/info you need to share with your tutor, and then click the "Confirm Appointment" button to schedule the appointment. You will receive a confirmation email that will include your appointment information shortly afterward.
Note: If no availability is shown in the system, you will need to contact LASSO at 405-744-3309 to determine if a tutor is available for your particular course.
Please check your OSU e-mail for a confirmation message. You can also view your calendar in STAR to see upcoming tutoring appointments. If you do not see your appoitnment and do not receive a confirmation e-mail, then your appointment was not made. Please follow the steps again and make sure to click "Confirm Appointment" at the end. If you have trouble, please contact us by phone or in person.
You will meet your tutor in the basement of the Classroom Building in Room 021. Please check in at the front desk when you come in.
- Come prepared to tutoring sessions. This includes bringing syllabi, textbooks, notes or other materials that would be beneficial to aiding in the tutoring session. (Tutors will not provide any of these materials.)
- Attempt to solve the problems on your own before your appointment. Bringing a list of questions or problems to be worked out often leads to a more productive tutoring session.
- Be respectful of the tutor’s time and be responsible in keeping track of your schedule.
- Be on time for tutoring sessions.
- Although it may not be necessary to stay for the entire hour of the tutoring session, please utilize our tutors’ services for at least 30 minutes of the appointment time. Expect that tutoring sessions will typically last an hour.
When scheduling an appointment, start by looking at the availability of tutors whom you’ve worked well with in the past.
In cases where your favorite tutor isn’t available, look at other tutors in the drop-down box.
We try to hire multiple tutors in every course we cover to increase tutoring availability for students. Each tutor has outstanding qualifications and has gone through extensive tutor training.
Appointments can be canceled in STAR by navigating to your Calendar or Upcoming Appointments tab. From there you can select the appointment and then cancel. Your tutor will be notified of the cancellation by e-mail.
You may cancel a tutoring appointment anytime up until 9:00 p.m. the evening prior to the scheduled appointment time at no cost. Cancellations after that will be charged a $10 late cancellation fee.
You can schedule a one-on-one appointment with a LASSO tutor through our scheduling website (tutor.okstate.edu) as close as 12 hours in advance.
While our tutors are glad to help you review and prepare for quizzes and exams, they will not sit with you as you take a quiz. Our goal is to help you not only increase your understanding of course-specific content, but also help you become better equipped and more confident as an OSU student.
We understand that students often come to tutoring with questions that arise directly from homework assignments. Our tutors will be glad to assist you in strengthening your understanding of course concepts through dialogue and work through practice questions and problems. While our tutors will help with homework in this way, they will not provide you with answers to homework questions or problems.