Pre-Professional Health & Law Support Services
3 Steps for Prospective Candidates: OSU-COM 3+1 Program
Program, Eligibility & Applying
About Program & Benefits
- Overview: How Program Works
- Students spend their first three years of undergraduate studies in pursuit of their bachelor’s degree at OSU-Stillwater.
- In their fourth year, students will matriculate to OSU College of Osteopathic Medicine to start their first year of medical school.
- After successful completion of their first year of medical school, students in the OSU-COM 3+1 Program will be awarded their bachelor’s degree from OSU-Stillwater.
- After year four of medical school, students in the OSU-COM 3+1 Program will receive their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree.
- Benefits of Program
- Save time, save money! Students in the OSU-COM 3+1 program save a year by completing seven instead of eight years of academic study, which translates into savings of tuition and time.
- Be considered for medical school admission among a smaller pool of applicants.
- Receive a guaranteed interview if you meet program criteria.
- Qualify for scholarship opportunities if you select the Rural Medical Track or Tribal Nations Medical Track.
- I'm an Interested High School Junior/Senior. What Should I Do to Prepare?The OSU-COM 3+1 Program is a rigorous program designed for high-achieving, OSU-Stillwater students who desire to serve as a physician.
- Study hard and earn strong grades for the program pre-qualifications and pre-eligibility. Review all program requirements below.
- Take rigorous courses. Biology and chemistry (for science majors-level), math and other general core courses (English, history, foreign language, etc.) to help with your overall holistic preparation.
- The OSU-COM 3+1 Program allows college-level coursework to be earned prior to fall, freshman entry to OSU-Stillwater while a high school student through:
- AP credit awarded at the college-level.
- Concurrent enrollment courses.
- Note: all grades from college-level courses will be counted towards the GPA requirements for the OSU-COM 3+1 Program and towards your GPA as a future OSU-Stillwater student. Please take all academic courses seriously.
- Gain Experiences in High School. Earn A Cowboy's Calling Certificate Program with OSU-CHS.
Eligibility & Qualifications
- Who Should Apply?
- Highly motivated, OSU-Stillwater undergraduate students who have decided to become physicians very early in college.
- Academically high-achieving students that desire to pursue a career in medicine in less time.
- Should possess strong, interpersonal skills.
- *The program is highly encouraged for students who have a desire to practice in Oklahoma with a preference for applicants who are interested to serve in rural areas and/or underserved populations.
- Program Pre-Qualifications
- Full-time student at OSU-Stillwater.
- Study an approved OSU-COM 3+1 Program Major at OSU-Stillwater.
- *3.5 or better overall grade point average (GPA).
- *3.5 or better science GPA.
- *Complete 45 or more credit hours towards approved OSU-COM 3+1 major.
- Approved OSU-COM 3+1 Program Majors at OSU-Stillwater
OSU-Stillwater Campus (College Alphabetical Order)
- BSAG Agribusiness: Pre-Veterinary Business Management
- BSAG Animal Science: Pre-Veterinary Animal Science
- BSAG Biochemistry & Molecular Biology: Pre-Medical/Pre-Veterinary Science
- BSAG Entomology: Pre-Veterinary and Pre-Medical
- B.S. Biochemistry
- B.S. Biology: Pre-Medical Sciences
- B.S. Microbiology/Cell and Molecular Biology: Pre Medical Professional
- B.S. Physiology: Pre-Medical Sciences
- B.S. Zoology: Pre-Medical Sciences
- Program Courses Pre-EligibilityComplete the following course requirements by the end of your spring semester of sophomore year:
- English, 2 semesters - ENGL 1113 & ENGL 1213
- Biology, 2 semesters (including laboratory) – BIOL 1114 & BIOL 1604
- General Chemistry, 2 semesters – CHEM 1314 & CHEM 1515
- *Physics, 2 semesters – PHYS 1114 and PHYS 1214
Prepare to Apply
- When Do I Officially Apply?If you meet all pre-qualifications and pre-eligibility, plan early in the fall semester of your sophomore year of college at OSU-Stillwater to:
- Schedule an appointment with Pre-Professional Academic Support Services to confirm your OSU-COM 3+1 pre-qualifications and pre-eligibility (latest).
- Anticipate attending the OSU PAC Workshop (mid-fall semester sophomore year) to begin your official OSU-Stillwater PAC application.
- Anticipate starting your official OSU-COM application (late-fall semester/winter break sophomore year) via AACOMAS.
- Anticipate starting your OSU-COM supplemental application (winter break/early spring sophomore year) before final OSU-COM deadline.
- Official Application Materials RequiredThe following items entail all official application materials required by the listed deadlines for full OSU-COM 3+1 Program Admissions Consideration:
- OSU-Stillwater PAC Application - Deadline on PAC application (typically end of fall semester in sophomore year).
- OSU-COM AACOMAS Application - Due February 28th in your sophomore year.
- OSU-COM Supplemental Application - Due March 30th in your sophomore year.
- *One OSU PAC committee letter of recommendation preferred - Due March 30th in your sophomore year.
- OSU-Stillwater PAC Application & Interview: What To Expect
- The OSU-Stillwater PAC Application and interview process is required for OSU-COM 3+1 Program candidate consideration. Upon completion, you receive a letter of recommendation to submit with your OSU-COM 3+1 medical school application.
- Attend the free PAC workshop in mid-fall of your sophomore year for full details and application instruction support.
- The OSU-Stillwater PAC Committee will pre-identify your OSU-COM 3+1 Program candidacy from your PAC application. We review your application based-upon all required qualifications and eligibility for the OSU-COM 3+1 Program standards.
- Anticipate your PAC Committee interview will take place in early spring of your sophomore year. We ensure the required PAC committee letter of recommendation is submitted before the final OSU-COM 3+1 Program deadline in March.
- OSU-COM 3+1 Application & Interview: What To ExpectUpon successful completion and submission of all required items before the required OSU-COM 3+1 Program deadlines:
- Anticipate indicating your OSU-COM 3+1 Program candidacy on your official OSU-COM secondary/supplemental application.
- Anticipate completing the CASPer situational judgment test required by OSU-COM Admissions in early/mid-spring semester. OSU-COM Admissions requires this before they will render an admissions decision.
- Qualified applicants will participate in a OSU-COM admissions interview.
- Anticipate your OSU-COM admissions interview will take place during the mid/late spring semester of your sophomore year.
- Final Decisions: What To Expect
- Anticipate your OSU-COM 3+1 Program admissions final decision by the end of spring semester in your sophomore year.
- All applicants will either be granted provisional early acceptance into the 3+1 Program or be advised to re-apply through the traditional medical school admissions cycle.
- If you have been granted provisional early acceptance, congratulations! Next, please review the "3 Steps: Accepted Candidates" information to successfully stay on track until final matriculation to OSU-COM professional school.
- If you were not accepted, don't give up! Continue to holistically grow. You are no longer required to follow the official steps or guidelines for the OSU-COM 3+1 Program. Finish strong with your remaining OSU academic studies and other non-academic development. Consider applying to OSU-COM later as a traditional medical school applicant or later when you feel more prepared.